Wednesday, June 8, 2016

The Joys and Pains of Music Videos

I love watching music videos. 

I used to be the type of person who would watch MTV (when it actually pertained to music) and watch music videos allllll dayyyy longggg. 
Now, instead, I am that person who sits at her computer and YouTubes music videos. Once I watch one, the train is rolling and it is hard to stop. 

There is something about music videos that makes or breaks the music. I can be listening to a song and think "ehh this is alright.." and then later go on YouTube and see the same song as a "suggestion", click it, watch it, and my world is changed forever. It may even become my new favorite song. I find myself defending the song when my friends have the same first impression as me and tell them they have not seen the music video yet so they have no reason to judge. 
Another thing that music videos can do at times is relay a hidden message or really show the emotion of songs. There's nothing like watching an artist feel their music in every part of their body while making music videos. I love it.
Music videos really do make a difference sometimes.
A music video that I think is a great example of an artist showing their vulnerability, passion, and pain is Demi Lovato's Skyscraper. When I first heard the audio version of this song, I was not a fan. I thought her voice sounded rough and painful. When they released the video, I learned that's exactly how she felt. It was a very powerful moment for her creating this video and she let it all go. Now I absolutely love this song.

On the flip side, music videos can definitely destroy a good song. There's nothing more buzzkilling than looking forward to watching a music video from one of my favorite songs and then having it be the stupidest, strangest, pointless video ever. Sure, I know there are songs with weird videos that have a lot of symbolism in them or what not, but sometimes I think they go over board. An example of a music video that ruined a song for me is Miley Cyrus's Wrecking Ball. It's a great song, I love it. Full of emotion, pain, and vulnerability as well. But the music video is a bit over the top. Maybe I just do not understand it, but I purposely search for the lyrical videos whenever I want to listen to that song.

All in all, I definitely believe that music videos can have a huge impact on songs. I can give many examples of videos that I love, and several examples of videos that make me wonder about humans. I do love and will forever enjoy watching music videos, and I hope that is one thing that will never die. 

No comments:

Post a Comment